Ray Ran 5 series Advanced Flow Systems
- Stock No
- Series 5
- New or Used
- Used (Second Hand)
- Process Application
- Mass flow rate of a molten polymers
- Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, UK
- Weight (kgs)
- External Dimensions (WxDxH mm)
- 580 x 580 x 900
The principal employed is to determine the mass flow rate of a molten polymer passing through a closely controlled orifice (die) under set conditions of constant temperature and constant pressure produced by a dead weight system.
These test parameters are referred to as the procedural conditions.
The mass flow rate of the polymer is measured in grams per 10 minutes, and this value is known as the melt flow index or MFI for the polymer.
Although the MFI value is not a fundamental property of the polymer, it does however, give an indication of the flow characteristics of the polymer and it has become one of the most widely used references for the quality control of polymers.
The test methods and the basic design concept of the apparatus employed to determine the MFI values are universally accepted and the various International Standards are based upon this agreed method of testing.
In simple terms, the polymer is loaded into a cylinder bore already heated to the required temperature. A weighted piston is placed into the top of the cylinder bore and after an initial period of time to allow the polymer to become molten (known as the preheat cycle), the amount of polymer (the extrudate) passing through the die is measured.
This can be done in two ways. Over a set time interval and then by weighting the extrudate so that a mass flow rate over 10 minutes can be readily calculated to give the MFI. Or, by recording the time it takes the piston to descend over a set travel distance, which gives the volumetric flow rate, and by multiplying the result of the density of the polymer at test temperature and converting this to a 10 minute period, the MFI is obtained.
The series 5 models have been designed to measure the melt flow index of polymers in accordance with the test procedures laid down in the International Standards.
- Fully microprocessor controlled test procedure
- Manually operated test procedure
- RS232 serial output for computer link
- Ray-Ran Data View Windows software
- Built-in printer for hard copy test results
- Key pad for data entry
- Digital temperature control
- Variable distance piston travel (0.01 mm resolution)
- Density determination at test temperature
- Multi-slicing feature with histogram Windows software
- Viscosity measurement
- Shear rate measurement
- Shear stress measurement
- Shear stress measurement
- Statistical analysis averages standard deviation
- Standard test die
- Piston assembly
- Replaceable cylinder liner
- Cylinder level indicator
- Full complement of tools for loading and cleaning
- 2.160 kg test weight
- Graduated polymer loading shuttle
- Traceable certificates of calibration
Photographs taken prior refurbishment. Our refurbishment service is not available on all machines.
Machines & equipment for sale
- Surface Treatment
- Cleaning & Degreasing
- Polishing & Belt Linishing
- Mass Finishing
- Ovens & Furnaces
- Process Cooling
- Shot Blasting
- Dust & Fume Extraction
- Air Compressors
- Rectifiers & Transformers
- Latest Stock
- Special Offers
- Direct From Site Clearances
- Brand New Machines
- Available Immediately
- Sell Your Machine
Get the latest machines emailed directly to you as they become available to buy online sign up